I think I am on a chocolate spree .. well, what to do! Chocolate is a weakness and such a simple ingredient to mess around with. This is a recipe which I tried out in the winters. It has chocolate, dates and butter – some of the most delightful ingredients.
Dates are one food which is good to have in the cold season – they provide much strength. A natural source of sugar, this is one dessert that the diabetics could also have a bit without worrying as it does not have any refined sugar. Although dates can be had alone without any accompaniment or roasted in ghee – I decided to go a little fun way. While listening to ‘shape of you’ by Ed Sheeran, here I go with the recipe – simple & easy – prepare for your parents or kids. They will love it!
Prep time: 30 mins
- Deseeded Dates (1 cup)
- Chopped almonds (1/3 cup)
- Butter (3 tspn)
- Ghee for roasting (1.5 tspn)
- Dark chocolate compound (200 gms)
- Heavy cream (1/2 cup)
- Coffee Powder (1.5 tspn, optional)
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the dates and almonds for roasting. Add 2/3rd the butter to balance the sweetness of the dates. Roast the ingredients until they change colour and an amazing smell wafts in the room.
- Let the mixture cool and then grind it coarse in a grinder. Once done, take a glass flat bowl and layer the prepared mixture in it. Allow it to cool.(Tip: I added the coffee powder for its bitter taste. You can try doing this).
- Pour the cream into a vessel and bring it to a boil. Add the chocolate compound and let it melt completely in the cream. Add the remaining butter and mix well to prepare the ganache.
- Take out the bowl and pour the prepared chocolate ganache over it. Refrigerate the bowl for an hour and then garnish it with chopped dryfruits/almonds.