I love Cream. I love strong coffee. And I love cake.
Combine these three in a form that is irresistible – and you have Tiramisu. The famous Italian dessert which is now available in varied forms and many different recipes. The best part about this dessert is – it is an instant mood lifter with a strong taste of coffee with a dash of cream, very simple to prepare and something that can be served in a shot glass just as beautifully as a pudding bowl. Really!
As can be read from numerous sources out on the web, Tiramisu when literally translated means – ‘Pick me up’ or ‘Lift me up’ – reference being the strong coffee flavor. Traditionally, this Italian dessert is prepared with coffee, mascarpone cheese, eggs and lady finger cake biscuits.
Since my family is a complete vegetarian (What are eggs!? :p), I had to find an egg less recipe which would taste equally yummy. And so – here I present to you a very simple and easy recipe that can be prepared real fast and is an instant crowd pleaser.
Prep Time: 30 mins
- 6 inch Eggless vanilla sponge cake
- 2 Tspn Coffee Powder
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups whipped cream
- 80 gms cream cheese
- 11/2 cups milk
- 4 Tspn Custard powder
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- Mix the custard powder in a little cold milk. Heat the remaining milk in a pan. When the milk becomes a little warm, add the custard powder-milk mixture and stir continuously till it becomes thick. Let it cool down. (Note: Ensure no lumps are formed otherwise the desired result won’t be achieved)
- In another pan, beat the cream cheese and sugar together. Once done, fold in the whipped cream gently to ensure everything is mixed properly without losing the consistency. Now mix this cream mixture with the prepared custard mix to achieve an even consistency.
- In a small bowl, mix together water and coffee powder. (Note: Since this dessert has a strong coffee taste, you can increase the coffee quantity as per your liking)
- Now, you can either use the vanilla sponge by neatly cutting it into 2 layers or you can crumble it. Since I didn’t have a serving dish as large as the sponge, I have crumbled the sponge cake.
- In a pan, add the crumbled sponge cake. Make sure the layer is thick enough to be visible from outside and no space is left in between. Now pour the coffee concoction over the entire layer. Now, add the prepared custard – whipped cream mixture on top of this and create a thick layer – again, visible from outside.
- Repeat the last step again. Once you reach the final cream layer, sprinkle or dust dry coffee powder over it for garnishing. I used coffee powder and piped a little geometric design using some whipped cream! And oh my God! It was to die for! 😀